xTuple.com xTupleU Blog & News Customer Support

Phantom And Kit Items

Is there any conceptual difference in a “KIT” and a “PHANTOM” item type?
I know how they function differently in xTuple, But could they be combined?
Right now you could have a kit that is 5 bolts 5 nuts and 10 washers. You can sell this kit to a customer.
But you cant turn around and use this kit in a bom to build a part of your own. You need a phantom item to do this. Is there any real reason that these are separate and that a kit couldn’t simply absorb phantom item functionality?

Hi Caleb:

As you put it “conceptually” there probably isn’t a difference. But, I think the real answer to your question is that the code just wasn’t written that way and I do believe it is as simple as that. As always I could be mistaken.
PS Tell your Dad I said Hello

I was just posting here in case I missed something on those 2. I was also posting it in case xTuple may want to remove one of the two in future updates and streamline the item types.

PS he says hello and Merry Christmas.

Conceptually there are a few differences. A Kit item is intended to package several items together in order to sell them (at a potentially different price to the sum of the item prices). So really it is about a saleable package of products.

A phantom item is used to simplify the BOM of complex items. Let’s say you have item A made up of a BOM hierarchy of 3 levels of component items and that item is then added to item B. If you do not want to see all of the layers of component items in item B you would use a phantom item to represent item A and simplify the BOM of item B.

So the purposes of these item types is different. There are no plans to consolidate these item types.

We use these quite a bit for sub-assemblies that we might use across multiple finish goods.

Chocolate Cake (finished good)

• basic cake mix (phantom)
  • chocolate flavor (component item)

Vanilla Cake (finished good)

• basic cake mix (phantom)
  • vanilla flavor (component item)

This would allow you to re-use the phantom item over and over in other flavors.

I understand the differences in use case. I think both are useful and I will be using both. But we use phantom items because we have subassemblies. But we also sell these subassemblies we cannot sell a phantom item, Because it is only usable in the BOM, we can make a kit and sell it. but at the end of the day the kit and the phantom item both represent a group of items in a subassembly. they are just limited to one stage in the process. I believe This
(at a potentially different price to the sum of the item prices).
Might be a real reason that they cannot be combined, But I haven’t looked at it deep enough to know. Just a thought on a way to remove one item type and remove duplicate representations of subassemblies .