xTuple.com xTupleU Blog & News Customer Support

Owner's Draw

Hello,
I need to write a check as an owner’s draw. But I cant seem to do it.
In Misc check it only allows me to write a payment to vendor, customer or VAT.
I even tried creating a voucher, however; in that I cant select an equity account and in addition, I still have to select a vendor (which in this case there are no vendors), so what do I do?

Also, we replenish the petty cash, by writing a cash cheque. Since I cant write a cheque without selecting a vendor or customer, how do I do this?

Thank you
sp4

Two choices here:
(1) Set up yourself and the company (or one called Cash) as vendors
or
(2) Just do journal entries for the draws and petty cash replenishment - any GL transaction that involves a bank account will show up in bank rec.

1 Like

Thank you.
Then do I need to pass separate entries to have it reflect as part of equity for the owner’s draw? If so, what would they be?
Also, would I be able to issue checks on the software if I just do the journal entry?

Generally it would be debit the owners draw account and credit the bank account

I did mine similarly to this: I made myself a vendor, created an equity account called S-Distributions, and paid myself as a vendor, putting the proceeds as a debit to the equity equity and a credit from the cash account. There’s a little more that goes into setting all that up, but it works great!

Thanks. But how did you do that? I cant map a vendor to equity.
Here are the 3 options for distribution that I get:
Account: Only able to map it to accounts of asset, liability, expense and revenue
Expense category
VAT

How do I select accounts of equity?

Thanks
Shirrin

You can type in the account number even if it isn’t on the list. You will get a warning, but can click through it.

1 Like

That worked! Brilliant!
Thanks Phil.