xTuple.com xTupleU Blog & News Customer Support

Outbound Freight Cost to Sales Order

I’m new to xTuple and have looked in several places to find… how to capture outbound/shipping freight cost associated with a sales order that is sold as free-shipping.

For example, SO# 001 has 1 line item for a sale price of $1000. The order is sold with free shipping, but I would like to capture the cost of shipping via UPS ($100) so profit margin is calculated correctly. The shipping cost of the same item/sale price can vary depending on distance (i.e. shipping from Massachusetts to New York will cost less than shipping to Hawaii).

Please and thank you.
-Christina

Hi Christina,

Probably the easiest is to create some Reference Items (non-stocked Items). These would hold a cost but can be sold at zero $. Add the correct Free Shipping Item to the Sales Order and ship it like any normal item. It will have a COGS of $100 and revenue of $0.

Hi Christina,

If your freight is not taxable, you could use the freight field to charge the outbound freight and get it posted to the right GL Account and reverse this by using the miscellaneous charge field with a negative amount that matches the freight charged with a different GL Account that would keep track of the absorbed freight charges.

This also has the advantage to show your customers how much they saved with the free shipping.

Bernard Le Jour
AS Plus Informatique Inc.

Good Morning anderson,

Thank you for this suggestion. I did try it out, however, I’m not sure if I had set up the Reference Item incorrectly, because I tried adding the item to three [3] sales orders, how do you ship an item that doesn’t have inventory? When I added the item to the three [3] sales orders, the availability shows -3.

Is there a way that an item can be created for just costing to be shown/associated with a sales order to capture the cost of the freight?

Thank you in advance.

Good Morning Bernard,

Thank you for the suggestion. However, we do not want to confuse customers by entering a freight charge, even though we will be crediting the same amount out. This is coming from above me, cannot convince otherwise.

Thank you,
Christina

Hey Christina, I think you may have a custom item creator for purchased items. If you open a support ticket for creating an item, and let them know I told you to, I will try to grab it and look at the item config.

Tom