xTuple.com xTupleU Blog & News Customer Support

Chromebook

Is there an xTuple client for Chromebooks?

Robert,

xTuple does not build our client for Chromebooks at this time. However, check with our partner Paladin Logic to see if they still have one.

Gil

As Gil mentioned we don’t have a client built for ChromeOS, however we do run on the Microsoft Surface 3

So I realize I’m late to the game on this, but I recently noticed that CodeWeavers released a beta of Crossover for Chromebooks.

Its on the Google Play Store, currently free until the summer. Anyone’s guess after that.

I gave it a shot, using the Windows build of 4.9.5, and early testing so far, but seems to work fine on a Google Pixelbook. Honestly it seemed more snappy than on my 2017 Macbook Pro. Looked fine too. I did see a custom screen we have that didn’t lay out properly, but it doesn’t lay out perfectly on any other machine either. It could probably stand some re-work.

If anyone else is looking for this, the other option on a Chromebook is to install Crouton and then just install the Ubuntu version of the client. I did this in October with an Asus 302 flip and it worked really really well. Again, better performance than a laptop that cost 5 times as much. For someone not worried about getting their hands dirty in a command line, this is fine. But the Crossover option opens it up to the less technically inclined too.

For what its worth, I bought the Asus 302 to carry around in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, to have something a little less heavy and less expensive than I normally carry (it was a little like Mad Max at the time). I was blown away at the performance and quality of the machine. It was really comfortable to use, even if I had to mess around with Crouton, etc. It convinced me to give Chromebooks a look.