xTuple.com xTupleU Blog & News Customer Support

Change currency exchange rate in journal posting

I want to make a transfer a $1000 USD to a CAD account which would come to $1280 based on current currency rate in the system. I’m presented with the following screen. How can I do a journal entry where I want to overwrite the current rate? And example would be to transfer some funds that took place at the bank a few weeks ago and the rate has since been updated in xTuple. I wand to avoid having to adjust the rate for just one transfer/transaction.

The Exchange rates tables includes dates, so it should use the rate that applied to the date of the transaction, I would think. I don’t actually have anyone using multicurrency.

Yes, but still a problem when the rate is set and at the bank at the time of transfer the rate is not the same. That happens often where it is off by a few cents etc…

Gerhard, you are correct in that a nominal exchange rate set for transaction or reporting purposes will likely never match the actual exchange rate used by the bank which changes every minute or so.

I think what should happen is you credit the sending bank account in their currency and debit the receiving account in that account’s currency and any perceived difference (caused by the stored exchange rate in xTuple) should go to currency gain/loss account.

Given this message it is likely this function does not apply currency gain/loss. The only other thing I can suggest is to look at the bank reconciliation screen, where you can adjust the exchange rate to an exact value thus correcting the difference there.