xTuple.com xTupleU Blog & News Customer Support

Announcing a Drupal downloads module

Notice anything new in the left navigation? We’ve got a new module to handle individual file downloads, which (we hope) behaves like a model citizen in the Drupal CMS framework. Among other cool things, it controls access to individual files and directories by Drupal user roles. We’ll be sending the code to the Drupal dev team for possible inclusion in future versions; watch this forum for more details from Trevor Mckeown, the module’s architect.

Among our goals for version 2 are:

Reading logical directory structures
Integration with CVS
AJAX interface to expand/collapse directories

As always, comments welcome!

I’ll second what Trevor said re: 4.7, and back off the MySQL commitment a bit. We’re big fans of PostgreSQL internally, but have tried to write everything in as SQL-standard a way as possible. So as Trevor said, the installation routine will differ, but hopefully the application itself will behave properly on ANY database.

Cheers,
Ned

trevor wrote:

We are currently discussing updating our site to 4.7, so it is likely
that we will update the module to work with the 4.7 api. In terms of
issuing a mysql database, that is possible, but we would really
recommend using PostgreSql. It has been through the years of testing
and development. All of the SQL in the ezdownload module should work
with Mysql, and the install script should only need minor
modifications. I will look into both of these requests when time
permits. In the mean time, if you are interested, we would love some
beta testers. Email me off list if you are interested.

Ned Lilly
President and CEO
OpenMFG, LLC
119 West York Street
Norfolk, VA 23510
tel. 757.461.3022 x101
email: ned@openmfg.com
www.openmfg.com

I’m quite impressed with your download module!
Any plans to (1) make it compatible with Drupal 4.7.x, and (2) issue a MySQL database for it?
thanks,
Will

Hi Travor -

I saw your post on Drupal.org about the EZDownload mod MySQL issue. Your right, most of us do use MySQL. I had posted a reply that your module is EXCELLENT and would be EXACTLY what I need for my company’s intranet site. If it is the download feature you have on your left menu sidebar, I can’t wait! I have put my site roll-out on-hold in hopes this may be a quick fix. I would be happy to beta this for you. Please let me know.

Thanks for you attention to making this a GREAT Drupal feature for us MySQL’ers …

Chris

We are pleased to announce the download module, titled ezdownload, has been released to the drupal community.

CVS source code can be found at

http://drupal.org/project/ezdownload

Please note this is version 1 of the module. I have many improvements in the works for the next release. Including some of the improvements above, the second version of this module will have some design changes, to improve preformance for larger directory structures.

As for the AJAX interface, that will be written using google’s new AJAX tool kit. Verison 2 is going to look slick!

As always, if you have any questions regrading this module, or anything thing on this site, feel free to email me at webmaster at openmfg dot org. Or post your question in these forum, you might be helping someone in the future!

–Trevor

We are currently discussing updating our site to 4.7, so it is likely that we will update the module to work with the 4.7 api. In terms of issuing a mysql database, that is possible, but we would really recommend using PostgreSql. It has been through the years of testing and development. All of the SQL in the ezdownload module should work with Mysql, and the install script should only need minor modifications.
I will look into both of these requests when time permits. In the mean time, if you are interested, we would love some beta testers. Email me off list if you are interested.

Please see my post at
http://drupal.org/node/71229#comment-138646

It should be a farily decent port of version one to Drupal 4.7 and MySQL

I can’t wait for version 2
This module nicely fills the void until a real document management module is available for Drupal

Thanks for your work on this. I just want to do one more quick cross db test on that code, and then I will commit it to CVS. I’m sure it will be fine. If you are interested, I would be happy to give you a copy of verison 2 and walk you through what i’ve got thus far. (over im or irc). verison 2 is going to be way cool … check out my responce on the drupal board at … http://drupal.org/project/issues/69998

Thanks again,

–Trevor

Hey,

Did you ever take look at the latest file I posted at

http://drupal.org/files/issues/ezdownload-4.7_0.zip